干煸牛肉丝 Sichuan Beef Stir Fry
Szechuan Beef Stir Fry
Source: China Sichuan Food
Szechuan beef shred or Dried fried beef shreds(干煸牛肉丝),literally named as Sautéed Shredded Beef in Chili Sauce, is another famous dish from Sichuan cuisinethat everyone Sichuan food lover should at least try it once.
The cooking method of this dish is called as dry frying, which is also used in another famous Sichuan dish Sichuan green beans. Beef shreds are fried firstly to remove the water before adding spices and seasonings. This process helps the beef to absorb the aroma of seasonings and thus endow the final dish with a much stronger flavor. If you love dry frying, check dry fried cauliflower too.
Have a look at the ingredients firstly.
There are generally two side ingredients used: one is carrot and the other one is celery. For me, I prefer celery.
1. I do not recommend making a large amount at one time until you are quite confident about your fire and stir frying skills.
2. Marinate the beef shreds with oil can help to prevent the beef shreds becomes dried out during the dry frying process.
3. Put the seasonings according to the order.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Szechuan Beef Shreds Stir fry
· 1/2 pound beef
· 1 cup of celery sections (around 5 cm long) or as needed
· 5 chili dried pepper, cut into shreds and remove the seeds
· 2 green onion whites, cut into sections around 5 cm long
· 1 inch root ginger, shreds
· 1 tablespoon doubanjiang
· 1 teaspoon chili pepper powder or as needed
· 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn powder
· Sesame seeds for garnish
· Salt to taste
· 2 tablespoons cooking wine
· 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
· 3 tablespoons cooking oil
1. Put the beef in refrigerator for about 30 minutes and cut into small and long shreds.
2. In a large mixing bowl, well combine beef shreds and marinating ingredients and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Heat up your wok or pan firstly for around 2 minutes and then add around 2 tablespoons cooking oil to heat until the oil is really hot.
4. Add beef shreds in. Stir fry for around 1 to 2 minutes over high fire, you will see there is sauce coming out in your wok. Pour the sauce out and transfer the beef shreds to one side of your wok or pan.
5. Add around 1/2 tablespoon oil to fry the ginger shreds, green onion shreds and dried chili pepper sheds until aroma over medium fire.
6. Add doubanjiang in to stir fry for the red oil. Mix everything well.
7. Spread chili pepper powder, Sichuan peppercorn powder and sesame seeds. Toss quickly and make sure all the ingredients are combined completely.
8. Add celery sections in and continue cook for around 1 minute.
9. Transfer out and serve hot!